A Smile That's Uniquely You
Your smile is like your calling card. It conveys an important message about your personality, confidence and wellness. If you don’t feel your smile accurately reflects who you are, cosmetic dentistry can help. When performed by the right cosmetic dentist, a process known as smile design can rejuvenate your smile and help you make the right impression.
There is both an art and a science to designing an appealing smile, and Dr. Andrew Hunter is the master of both. His El Cajon smile design patients trust his wealth of experience and expertise with modern dental materials and technologies.
What the Smile Design Process Can Address
Smile design, also known as smile makeover, can help anyone that wants to change or improve an aspect of their smile. Smile makeover can treat any of the following:
- Alignment and spacing of the teeth: Crooked or misaligned teeth can be straightened and moved into the desired position with orthodontic treatment. ClearCorrect and Invisalign are two of the most popular orthodontic systems used in Dr. Hunter’s practice. Another way he can fix teeth that are slightly crooked or misaligned is through instant orthodontics, or the placement of porcelain veneers.
- Shape and size of the teeth. Porcelain veneers, dental bonding or tooth-colored fillings can be used to create consistency in tooth size or shape. The bonding or filling material can add to the width or length of the teeth, and veneers can conceal teeth that are small or oddly shaped.
- Color of the teeth. Professional whitening treatment can bleach teeth that are stained or discolored. Teeth that do not respond to whitening treatment may be covered with a porcelain veneer to improve the color.
- Slightly chipped or cracked teeth. Teeth that have small chips or cracks can be restored with the placement of a porcelain veneer or a porcelain crown. A more conservative approach would involve applying dental bonding or filling material to cover up the imperfections. If the damage is more serious in nature, a CEREC same-day crown can be placed to reinforce the tooth.
- Visible metal fillings. Conspicuous metal fillings can be replaced with modern, tooth-colored alternatives.
- Prominent or uneven gum tissue. Gums that are prominent and cover up too much of the tooth structure can be reshaped with a laser to improve the proportions of the smile.
Your smile design will be tailored to your specific concerns and goals. You and Dr. Hunter will sit down together and evaluate your smile in its entirety, identifying elements that you would like to change. You will also be asked to describe your ideal cosmetic outcomes. Once Dr. Hunter understands what it is that you want to address, he will recommend a combination of treatments to help you achieve those results. Then, you can make decisions about proceeding with your cosmetic treatment.
Your smile design plan may include any combination of the following:
- Placement of porcelain veneers
- Chair-side teeth whitening or take-home whitening trays
- Replacement of metal fillings with tooth-colored alternatives
- Dental bonding
- Placement of CEREC same-day crowns
- Orthodontic treatment with Invisalign or ClearCorrect
- Instant orthodontics with the placement of porcelain veneers
- Gum recontouring
These treatments may be performed in tandem or spaced out, allowing time in between each treatment. If your smile design involves a restoration (e.g., porcelain veneer or crown), Dr. Hunter will work with a trusted dental laboratory to customize the piece. Or, he can use CEREC technology to design, fit and place a quality crown in a single visit while you wait. These details will be discussed during your consultation.
Discuss Smile Design with Dr. Andrew Hunter
To speak with Dr. Hunter about your personal smile design goals, please contact our practice today and request a consultation.